A year ago when she walked into a group environment she would have been reluctant to leave me - a year later she can’t wait to get me out of the door!
Job title: Summer Intern
Salary: Daily travel and lunch expenses as remuneration.
Hours: 25-40hrs per week (July to the end of August 2019)
Yellow Submarine is looking for an enthusiastic individual to help make Summer 2019 the best one EVER for a group of 11-18 year olds with a mild to moderate learning disability and/or autism in Oxford, Witney & Abingdon. An intern would need to have a deep and passionate interest in the development and well-being of individuals with a learning disability.
Position will involve:
The predominant role you will be involved in is assisting with the delivery of our holiday club programme, which we run every week day during school holidays, see here for our usual schedule of holiday club activities. As well as the opportunity to become involved in our residential trips, during which we support up to five adults or young people with a learning disability for up to five days at a time. To go to exciting summer destinations such as Disneyland Paris and various UK locations.
Our activities are fun, age-appropriate and often ambitious. They are typically community-based, although we also travel to exciting destinations further afield! Our ambition is to coach the young people we support to be able to do more, grow in confidence and need the minimum possible staff support. We operate closer to a “mainstream” holiday club than a “day service”, challenging the young people to do as much as possible themselves.
You will also have the opportunity to become involved in some of our office based work if you feel this would be beneficial to your professional development or have an interest in a specific administrative based role. Although this would be secondary to the delivery of our holiday club programme.
You will be expected to:
- Work as part of a team
- Help plan new and exciting activities for our sessions
- Supervise and support young people and adults with learning disabilities to access our activities
- Interact with the general public, parents and carers, maintaining a professional image and representing Yellow Submarine positively
- Respond to the needs of individuals in a respectful and empathic way, protecting their dignity and self-esteem
- Attend training as requested
- Uphold Yellow Submarine policies and procedures, especially those of Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults, and Equality and Diversity (training will be provided as necessary)
What we offer you:
- A relaxed, friendly environment where your opinion matters.
- A chance to take on responsibility when you are ready.
- A healthy work to life balance due to our opening hours (9am-5pm Monday to Friday)
- Social activities organised by staff for staff, and a small, supportive staff team.
Who can apply:
We welcome applications from all people regardless of race, gender, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation or age and we are committed to providing under-represented groups with the help and support they need to apply to join us.
To apply for this position please send your CV to Cara. It is likely that we will have similar opportunities throughout the year so do get in touch at anytime.