A year ago when she walked into a group environment she would have been reluctant to leave me - a year later she can’t wait to get me out of the door!
To help our activities run smoothly – from holidays to Blackpool, our trips to Hill End and daytrips during the school holidays to our daily sandwich deliveries to local offices, we have access to a number of minibuses.
We’re lucky that a number of our staff and volunteers are happy to drive the minibuses which helps make our activities possible.
You can drive a minibus within the UK (on a standard licence) as long as the following conditions apply:
- you’re 21 or older
- the minibus is used for social purposes by a non-commercial body
- you’ve had your driving licence for at least 2 years
- you meet the ‘Group 2’ medical standards; if you’re over 70 – check with your GP if you’re not sure you meet the standards
- you’re driving on a voluntary basis and the minibus is used for social purposes by a non-commercial body
- the maximum weight of the minibus is not more than 3.5 tonnes – or 4.25 tonnes including specialist equipment for disabled passengers, eg a wheelchair ramp you’re not towing a trailer
In order to make sure that our staff and volunteers feel comfortable and happy driving the buses (which may have up to 15 seats for those with a standard licence or 17 for those with a D1 entitlement on their licence) and to ensure the safety of their passengers. It’s important they have had the opportunity to do the following:
- Test drive the bus in question.
- Made themselves familiar with the controls and facilities of the vehicle. Each of the vehicles owned by Yellow Submarine has an information booklet outlining key information and procedure:
LN58 PVZ: Download booklet – PDF
DU65 HKE: Download booklet – PDF
- Read and understood the current risk assessment (download – PDF here).
- Made themselves familiar with the accident procedure.
- Completed the Yellow Submarine online Minibus test.
* Any new drivers should make sure they have completed all of the above before driving for Yellow Submarine*